Enjoy a really quick and easy weekday dinner! Asian flavours that everybody knows and loves without the need of buying the premade teriyaki sauce. Fresh greens and a healthy portion of rice. What more can you ask for?
For 2 people
- 100ml Soy sauce
- 100ml Mirin
- 40gr sugar
- 5ml seame oil
- 10ml sake (optional)
- 2 Chicken breast
- vegetable oil
- 200gr Tenderstem broccoli
- salt, water
- sesame seeds
- 200gr Japanese (short-grain) rice
- 280ml water
- Mix the soy sauce, mirin, sugar, sesame oil and the sake in a small pot and bring to a simmer over low heat. Let it simmer for 20 minutes until it has a dark caramel colour and it has thickened. Preheat the oven yo 70 degrees.
- While it is warming up, put the rice and water with a pinch of salt into a rice cooker and cook it accordingly to the rice cooker instructions.
- Butterfly the chicken breast and pound it flat. Salt both sides and fry in hot vegetable oil in a pan and brown well, keep the chicken on a plate in the oven until needed.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, while waiting, cut the tops of the broccoli and the stems in half. Blanch the stems first because they take longer to cook. After 1 minute add the tops and blanch for another 30 seconds. Refresh in ice water and reserve until plating.
- Taste and season the teriyaki sauce when it has achieved a dark mahogany colour and has a thick consistency.
- Cut the chicken in thin strips, and plate with the Rice, broccoli, sesame and the sauce.
I would recommend to cut the stems of broccoli in small pieces and serve the sauce on the side as some people might want less sauce than others.