The spring has finally also arrived in London! Why not celebrate the sunnier times with a vegetarian and light pea soup?
The soup can be served warm and cold and is done really really quick!
For 2 people
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 350gr frozen peas
- 2 white onions
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt, white pepper
- 20ml yoghurt
- Extra virgin Olive Oil
- 10 pods of sugar peas
- lime juice
- dried chilli flakes or cayenne pepper
- Heat up the olive oil in a small pot over medium high heat. Dice the onions and sweat them in the olive oil until translucent.
Add the honey and the stock to the onions when they are see through and then add the frozen peas.
- Bring the mixture up to a boil and add the cumin. Season with salt and white pepper.
Boil until the peas are soft, then puree the soup with an immersion blender.
- When blended, pass the soup through a fine-mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
Here the distinction needs to be made between the cold or the hot serving.
When sieving the soup, place the bowl in an ice bath and cool it down quickly, if not the soup will discolour.
So if you plan on serving the soup hot, make the soup only straight before serving to avoid dicolouration.
- Stir a small squeeze of lemon juice into the soup, that gives acidity and also helps to keep the colour.
- Boil a pot of salted water and blanch the pods of peas in the water and refresh the peas after 30 seconds in cold water. Open them up and drain the small peas on kitchen paper.
- Mix the yoghurt with some lime juice and a small splash of water.
Plate the soup with the olive oil, yoghurt mixture and some chilli flakes and enjoy!
The soup can also be prepared vegan without the yoghurt as it is only used for decoration.